A family on the Sunshine Coast has lost all of their firefighting gear, after a blaze ripped through their property, the ABC has learned.
Key points:A family in the town of Port Augusta, on the Gold Coast, lost their home firefighting kit after their home was set alight by a fireThe kit was used in the past to put out bushfires at the local power stationThe family’s owner said it was the last thing he’d ever wanted to doTwo fire fighters were injured in the blaze, which broke out at the family’s home in the port town of Coomera about 9:00pm on Saturday, fire chief Greg Davies said.
The fire was brought under control when fire crews arrived at about 10:30pm and by the time they were able to return to the house the blaze was out.
The family was not injured and are recovering in hospital.
The Port Augusta fire brigade are investigating.
A statement from the Port Augusta community said the family had lost their fire fighting equipment and the family was “in shock and grief” after losing everything.
“The family has been devastated by this terrible tragedy,” it read.
“We ask for privacy at this time, as we understand the family is dealing with some very difficult and traumatic events.”
Their loss is felt throughout the entire Port Augusta area.
“A statement posted to the community website on Sunday said the fire had destroyed one bedroom, destroyed one bathroom and damaged a house on the other side of the property.”
All members of the family were out and about at the time of the fire, working at the Port Auckland power station when they lost all their equipment, including fire extinguishers,” the statement read.”[There was] a loss of a house which was also totally destroyed.
“A fire service helicopter and firefighting personnel were on the scene at the same time as the family lost their homes equipment.”
The fire service said they were assisting with the family.
It is understood the family are being supported by a Queensland Government fund.